Today was the last day of school and it was a busy one with signing year books, field day and playing the 4th and 5th graders in our annual teachers vs. students whiffle ball game. The first year I was at Evergreen, my whiffle ball skills were a little rusty. After several attempts at bat, the PE teacher gently put the tee in front of me to hit the ball. Being the only one to have to use the tee, I vowed to never let that happen again. I have to say I was proud of myself this year. I was up to bat 3 times and hit the ball the first time, every time. Good way to end the year!
As I was packing up the last few things in my classroom today, I thought back to all the wonderful memories I made at Evergreen Academy during the last three years. I met many amazing children and families that will be a part of my life forever. The teachers I worked with became some of the closest friends I've ever had. After teaching for a few years, I have made the decision to take a break from teaching and try a new adventure.
On Monday, I will start working for the Crooks family who attends Evergreen. I had their daughter in my class at the beginning of the year and worked closely with them as we tried to find the right placement for her. A few months into school, I started having a difficult time. Career wise, this was the toughest year for me and I was needing a couple of changes in my life to be fully happy. The Crooks were needing a change as well and we found each other at the right time. Jennifer Crooks is a talented horse jumper and travels around to several competitions throughout the year. Jennifer and her husband, Mike, own and run a riding school as well as train for Jennifer's competitions. They have six beautiful children, (Yes, I said 6!!) all of which have the biggest hearts. I will be their nanny for at least a year. I will travel with them to each of the competitions and have fun adventures when we're not traveling.
So today, I am sad to be thinking about the things I will miss about teaching. I will miss sitting in my rocking chair and reading to my students. I will miss bringing learning to life. I will miss the smiles on my students faces when they learn something new. I will miss the support of the teachers every minute of every day. I will miss the many people who have changed my life forever. I know that by taking a year off and experiencing this new adventure, I will return to teaching a stronger and happier person.
I hope to share my new journey with you on my blog. I am excited for what's ahead.
Thursday, June 14, 2007
School's Out For Summer!...and at least for another year
Posted by Emily Fife at 8:56 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Oh, Em!!! You brought tears to my eyes... especially the bit about making the best friends you've ever had at E.A. because I compeltely agree! I miss you bunches, but look forward to following your journey w/the Crooks family and through your own crazy experiences of the your life as Fife. Miss you!
Becky
Ok, lady. Now I'm all bawly-eyed. But it is a good reminder why I am there in the first place. The kids (especially mine).
Miss you!
--Rose
Post a Comment