Sunday, April 4, 2010

Dinner with Morgan Freeman

Here is my story of how a fun filled weekend with good friends turned into a quiet weekend with Morgan Freeman. 

Spring Break is starting this week and I made plans over a month ago with my good friend Mary to visit her and her family in Twisp, WA. They all moved there a few years back and I have not been over to visit. I was excited for the time off to go visit. Mary and I communicated almost every day about what we were going to do. Eat, shop, eat, hike, eat, scrapbook, eat.

 (Mary and her family-minus the boys…of course I didn't photo shop myself in J)

 (Me and Mary a few years back)

 On Thursday, I dropped off my mom, sister and roommate at the airport to enjoy their Easter weekend in Utah. I went home to start packing to leave on Friday when I notice the weather report. That dreaded weather report… "Expect 1 foot of snow in the pass and local areas". After arguing with the weather forecast for quite awhile and realizing I was not going to win, I gave up the fight and had to call off the fun filled Twisp weekend.
(Twisp: what could have been so beautiful) 

That left me plan-less, friend-less, roommate-less and family-less. In other words, alone. I usually love being alone but wasn't looking forward to this on Easter. I woke up Friday morning with the thought in my head, "You can still enjoy your Easter weekend by yourself!" I made a decision to still have a good Easter even if I was a little lonesome. Sunday was General Conference (Mormon Definition: A conference that happens 2 times a year – April and October – where the leaders of the church share incite, wisdom and council with all the members of the church across the world. In order to reach the masses across the world, you are able to watch it at home via the internet. This means, you can (and I do) stay in your sweats while attending church. You can find more info here.) I always enjoy conference, and loved that it was held on Easter Sunday this year. Here's a look at my day:

 

 Instead of boring cereal for breakfast, I made myself yummy Dutch Babies. Yum! You can tell I was paying attention to conference because I added ¼ cup too much flour into the mix and they turned out a lot thicker than usual. Still very tasty!

 

 I continued to watch conference cuddled up on the couch with the illusion of a fire burning.


 I finished watching conference by preparing my family's traditional Easter dinner.

 

What Was Tradition: ham, company potatoes, deviled eggs, green beans, lots of dirty cooking dishes
What Wasn't Tradition: pre-cooked ham, watermelon, cupcakes (we usually have strawberry shortcake), not having my mom's homemade bunny rolls (Yes! She does actually shape them into bunnies), one place setting

After a great morning and afternoon of uplifting stories, I had a strong desire to watch March of the Penguins. It must have been the talk about the cattle herding and motherly love??? So, as my meal was coming to completion, I decided to watch March of the Penguins during my Easter dinner so I wasn't alone in silence. Morgan Freeman actually was just what I needed in the background. His voice was soothing and we had a great conversation about monogamy, child bird birth, unbelievable trials and true love. I will admit, there were a couple times I did make a couple comments out loud. It's hard not to when you are in such good company.
Well, that was my story of how I had dinner with Morgan Freeman.

Morgan and I both hope you all had a wonderful Easter!

3 comments:

LeeAnn said...

Sounds like a wonderful weekend. Way to make the most of it. Loved the Diet Dr. Pepper and dinner pictures:

Karrie Pelton said...

Thanks for saving me some leftovers too even though I bailed. The deviled eggs were great! Next year, it'll be back to normal...just the 2 of us.

The Pilgrims said...

Spending Easter with Morgan sounds like fine - is he booked for next year or can I reserve him? :) Miss you!