Sunday, December 9, 2007

Time for a Change?

Yet again, my life has taken a turn full of changes and decision making. I should just get used to it, but lately things have been coming out of nowhere and catching me off guard. I got a call from my father last Thursday night (11/29) letting me know that my uncle is looking for an executive assistant/office manager for his investment business and he thought of me. My uncle is an unbelievable man who helps many people and I have always been interested in working with him. Last year, during one of my grandparents funerals and around the time when things weren't feeling right at Evergreen, I asked him casually if he was looking for a personal assistant which he didn't need at the time. He must have remembered me asking a year ago and I felt honored he thought about me for the position. The main setback for me making a decision (besides stopping teaching) was that his office is in Utah. I would not only be making a change in careers, but a change in my entire life. My housing, friends, location, culture, weather, grocery stores, favorite restaurants, family.....so much to think about.

At first, I was completely opposed to moving and changing my life so drastically. But the more I have been thinking about the opportunity and my future, I have begun to think this could be what I need in my life. I love teaching but I don't want to teach forever. I want to be the room mom who volunteers and plans parties for my kids. I want to be on the other end of the parent teacher conferences and be a supportive parent. I want to go buy a Christmas tree with my husband and children and make family traditions and memories. I want to bake cookies with my kids, teach them how to be good in a world that has so much bad all around it, raise them with love, faith and kindness. That is what I want in this life. More than anything else. It's what I have always wanted. Recently, I have had to stop and look at my life. Am I on a path that will lead me towards this?

I've had to look at my career life....I am working hard to get into the Northshore School District, which has been a dream of mine since 2nd grade. I have worked so hard to get my name out there and now principals are noticing me, appreciating me and fighting to get me a job next year as they are doing everything they can to get me as much work as they can this year. I have been grateful for this. Career wise, I am on the right path. But there are still uncertainties. Last year, they hired only 5 teachers in the whole district. This year there are budget cuts. What if they close a school? What if they can't hire teachers? I cannot work three jobs again next year. What if I am single a lot longer? Will teaching be the best for me financially? I will have to go back to school very soon to get my professional certificate which means taking more loans out.

I've had to look at my personal life....I have not gone on a date in who knows how long. (Well, I know, but I don't want to disclose that information right now) I made a move almost two years ago to have a better opportunity to meet people through church. So far, there has been nobody I have been interested in. I can't help but think I do need a big change in my life to get things going.

I remember in one of my previous posts I said I felt like I was being prepared for something big in my life. I didn't know what it was but I knew something was going to happen. I have been praying constantly these past couple of weeks to know what I am supposed to do with my life. This is a big decision and I need to really know which decision will help me with receiving the desires of my heart.

2 comments:

The Fife's said...

So, what have you decided? We know you will make the right decision.

Kellie said...

This is huge em, sounds like everything is falling into place as far as what you want and where you need to be. I think it sounds like a good idea to change things up. Let us all know what you decide.