Sunday, March 23, 2008

Adios Woodin

Today I am MUY TRISTE (very sad). The day eventually came where I had to say goodbye to my students in the Dual Language Kindergarten at Woodin Elementary. Since the real teacher's return date kept getting extended, I didn't think this day would come, nor did I want it to. Of course in the beginning when it was pure craziness, I had different feelings! What was supposed to be 2 months turned into 5 and I only wish it was longer.

The parents planned a good-bye party for me on Thursday afternoon (Friday was a teacher work day) and I was overwhelmed by the generosity of the parents. I knew I was supposed to save "the last 30 minutes of the day" but I wasn't sure what was going to happen. I didn't know that almost EVERY parent would be coming in to say thank you and wish me good luck. At first I was completely overwhelmed having all the kids and parents in the room, but it was wonderful to say goodbye to everyone in person.

I have grown to love all of my 24 ninos and am struggling with the thought they are not mine anymore. I had the kids write/draw about their feelings and most were very conflicted. They were happy to have Mrs. Williams back, but they were very sad I was leaving. I do have to say that I am extremely happy that they are excited to have Mrs. Williams back or else it would have been harder to leave.

Not only did I have to say goodbye to all my students and families, I had to say goodbye to a school and faculty that I admire and love so much. They are an amazing staff and have been so strong with the school closure proposal. I have felt very connected to them as we have been at meeting after board meeting after meeting together figuring out how to save our school. I hope I will be on a staff like Woodin's next year. They have been extremely supportive and friendly since the day I started in November.

One of the hardest people I had to say goodbye to is my new amiga Christy. She is the other Dual Language Kindergarten teacher. Our rooms are kind of connected so we see each other all the time which I loved. She has been so much fun to work with! I know it had to be hard working with a teacher who didn't speak Spanish and couldn't give feedback to what we should teach and always having to translate things for me. Despite her extra work load that was added when I arrived, she was only super supportive and went the extra mile to help. I only wish I could learn Spanish over the summer to have a chance to work with her again. We've shared many memories together and I will have to post the song she wrote me later. It makes me smile every time I read it.

Here's a few pictures of the party.




3 comments:

Kellie said...

oh how sad, they will surely miss Miss Fife. that is so nice they threw you a huge party.

Seeing Red said...

I know this sounds like a back-handed compliment, (so I want to set up my point-- when you came in things were difficult with all the changes the kids had experienced) but it reminds me of the last scene in Nanny McFee: She says, "When you need me but do not want me then I must stay, when you want me but no longer need me, then I have to go."

Anna said...

I can totally understand your bitter sweet goodbye!! You are amazing! No wonder the parents and all the kids loved you so much!!