Saturday, March 15, 2008

Unexpected Trip to Utah

I got a call that my Grandpa Case passed away on March 4th. We knew his health wasn't great, but his passing was sudden. My Grandma (Mimi) passed away when I was 5 and my grandpa was never the same. He loved her so much. I learned at the funeral that my grandpa died on what would have been their 54th wedding anniversary. I loved hearing this and knowing they would be together on a special day.

My grandpa lived by himself out in a small - seriously in the middle of nowhere - town called Roosevelt, Utah. Vanessa and I arrived Thursday night and stayed with my brother and his family in Heber...an hour and a half away from Roosevelt. We spent all day Friday cleaning out my grandpa's house which was mentally and physically exhausting. After our long day, our parents took us to a fun local steak restaurant. What a fun experience this was! Saturday was the funeral back in Roosevelt. There were a lot of family members from my Grandpa's side I had never met so it was nice seeing them. There was a nice spirit during the funeral.

This was such a quick and busy trip, but the biggest reward was seeing my niece Gabrielle for a little while. She is honestly the cutest girl and I am excited to spend more time with her over our Spring Break.



Gabrielle like to give "high 5's" and then "pounds it".


My little bro, Justin.

At the town steak house. It is foggy because of all the smoke from cooking the steaks.



We may have enjoyed looking at the decorations and Moose, but the town folk definitely enjoyed themselves staring at us!!! We felt like all eyes were on us. We must have been the city slickers they have seen on TV.

After waiting for a table for 6, we were escorted upstairs to their "banquet room". We felt like we weren't allowed to be with the city folk and got banished from the people. We had a great time here and had delicious meals.

It was great having the whole family together.




3 comments:

McKinney's said...

Hey Fife, sorry to hear about your grandpa! I wish I could have seen you while you were here. You're more than welcome to stay at our house whenever you're in town. Oh, and don't worry about your scanner score...I'm dying too!!

Love ya tons!
Traci

Oh, I'm trying to be up with the times and have a blog too...
btmckinney.blogspot.com

Kellie said...

That's a great story about your grandpa passing on their wedding anniversary. Funny thing is my grandpa passed away this last December on what would have been their wedding anniversary too! What a great present for the grandma's to see their husbands in heaven again. Looks like some fun time with your family.

The Pilgrims said...

I am sorry for your loss! My great-grandfather passed away in December... it is hard to say goodbye! I missed seeing you over the break in April, but hopefully we can get together sometime in 2009 when we move home!
Love ya,
Becky