Thursday, May 29, 2008

Singles Conference

Many people ask how I meet people to date. They know finding someone of the same faith is very important to me and that it's a little harder since I don't hang out in many of the places people meet, such as bars or clubs. I have to say that my church does work hard to provide opportunities for us "singletons" to meet one another. I attend church every Sunday during a time where singles, ages between 21-31 attend. So far, this hasn't been successful, but I have met some great friends. Every so often, they put on singles conferences for people to meet. Vanessa and I decided to attend one of these events last weekend for people between the ages of 27-45 from California to Canada. I was a little weirded out about the over 40 crowd but was ready to branch out and meet new people.


Vanessa and I walked in the first night and saw a sea of females. There were about 10 women to every man. It was ridiculous and ended up being a joke the whole weekend. Friday was supposed to be a "speed dating" night. Since there was so few men, women were lined up and down the halls waiting to be in the "Asian Room" to chat with the opposite sex. We decided (very quickly) not to do that and played Guitar Hero instead. But don't worry, we did make sure to go in the room before it started and take pictures. There were roses on the piano and we couldn't help making fun of the whole situation by doing a little Bachelor style posing. I do have to say they decorated the "Asian Room" very well. There were little fish bowls on each table with beta fish. I would have been happy to just sit and talk with the fish...and possibly take him home with me afterwards.

Saturday was a Seattle day. We split into groups depending on what our interest was. Vanessa and I signed up to Ride the Ducks. We have never done it and were so excited. It was such a beautiful day which made the tour that much better. I recommend doing the ducks if you haven't had a chance. The driver was hilarious and kept the 90 minute ride (60 minutes on land, 30 minutes in water) entertaining.

The weekend turned into a great women's conference and I met some really nice girls. Vanessa even got a few of their numbers so we're hoping to keep in touch. :) So after reading all of this, you may still wonder where I meet people to date. Good question. When it happens, I'll let you know.

2 comments:

Anna said...

OH MY GOSH!!!! That is one of the funniest stories I've heard in a long time!!! Thanks for making me laugh..... will you accept this rose?????????????

The Pilgrims said...

What an experience! Has anyone ever told you that you're a great story-teller? You totally are! Others may have experienced something similar to this, but only you can make me laugh out loud while I'm sitting by myself in my flat in London. By the way -have you booked your flight yet? It is "singles night" every Friday and Saturday in London-town and you're bond to experience a few more stories to tell about. Come on over! :)