Thursday, October 2, 2008

Happy Day

Yesterday was my birthday. Over the last couple of years, I haven't expected much. Once you hit a certain age, there isn't as much excitement. I have been so busy I hadn't given my birthday much thought but it turned out to be a very nice day.

The kids at school were so excited and were pretty sweet all day. I got lots of hugs and homemade cards, even some flowers and a bag of oreos! I was touched when my "Try Me" boy and his mom ordered 5 pizzas for the whole class because he wanted to make it special for me. He also made me earrings. I opened the box and he was so excited to tell me he picked out the beads and his mom helped him put them together. I knew if I wore them it would make his day so I proceeded to try to get them in my ears in the back of the room. After several attempts, re-piercing my right ear and washing the blood off my fingers, it was worth seeing the smile on his face. The kids planned this pizza lunch at recess so two other kids brought in drinks and cookies which completed the party. I kept thinking all day, "They like me!! They really like me!" It was the first time I felt like I had made a real connection with them.

After school I went to dinner at Canyons with my sister and parents. We had a great time and enjoyed great food. Thanks for a great dinner, family!

My sister gave me this card. Inside it says: "Only sisters know the thin line between hug and strangle." So true!

We then had to reenact the moment...



My main gift was a blue tooth. I haven't spoken on the phone in the car since the new hands free law passed so this will hopefully keep me connected better. I also got the cutest little bottle of hair wax. I just love that little bottle! Vanessa got me a cute scarf and a "simplify" sign. I need this to be my new life motto so it will be a good reminder.
When I got home, my roommate surprised me with having friends over for cupcakes and ice cream. It was nice to have friends come and celebrate the day with me. We ended the night watching Pushing Daisies. If you haven't seen that show...watch it. It comes on on Wednesdays at 8:00. I love it!

5 comments:

Tiffany said...

Happy Birthday Girl! Sounds like you had a great day. It is great when you feel loved on your birthday.

Anderson's said...

Emily, Happy Birthday! I am so glad you had a wonderful day. Your class is so cute-of course they would love you. I am so glad the "try me kid" was so cute to you. Happy Birthday!

The Fife's said...

I am glad that you had a great day!!

Nana Jan said...

Hi,
I was really going to call or email you on your big day...and I fell short again. I'm so sorry but I was thinking of you. I love looking at your blog. Sounds like your day was so fun and you really are loved by so many. You must be the best teacher. Think how many sweet little lives you are impacting.
I recognize your cupcakes. We recreated them for a shower for Amanda. They were such a hit.
You must know how much I love you. It is fun to talk with your dad and hear of his love and admiration for you. You are doing wonderful things with your life. I hope our paths will cross soon.
I do wish you a very Happy Birthday...belated.
Please know I think of you often and hope all is well.
Love,
Aunt Jan

Anna said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! I love that your students love you so much... of course they do!! SOunds like you had a great day! You deserved it!