Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Speechless

I have tried thinking of a title for this post but I cannot think of one. There have been so many emotions and feelings running through me lately and I can't narrow it down to a couple words.

Another school year is over...and what a school year it has been. A year ago I was saying goodbye to teaching for awhile and stepping into a new adventure. Little did I know that my adventure would have more twists and turns than I could ever imagine. If you've followed the Life of Fife this year, you know life wasn't exactly the way I had planned. I didn't expect to stop nannying after a couple months, search for a teaching job last minute, become a Dual Language Kindergarten teacher, work three jobs at a time, have to make a decision about moving to Utah or not, teach first grade, etc, etc. But then again, I didn't expect to fall in love with my little bilingual kiddos, fight to keep a school open, receive a new and much needed view on education and administration and most importantly...strengthen my faith and trust that everything will work out in life even if it leads you down a different road.

I have been greatly blessed this past week. I put a lot of energy and hard work into this year and I thought people noticed but I was always nervous there would be no jobs available for me and that maybe I'd be further down on the list than others and not have a chance. I got an e-mail from an old principal I used to work with 5 years ago when I first moved back to Washington and she said she would love to hire me after the in district transfers close. Anyone in the district who have contracts have first dibs on what is available around the district. A few days later I saw the principal I worked with at Woodin. Before saying anything else, she said she wanted to hire me and she would call me as soon as the district transfers closed. The next day I saw the principal at Shelton View who told me he called the Director of Human Resources to personally tell her that he believed in me and to do everything she could to get me a job. In reply, the HR director said she remembered who I was and she thought she had something for me.

In district transfers closed at 4:00 today so now it's just waiting to see what is available. I got a call from the Woodin principal today to set up an interview if all goes well (this was before 4:00). She said she wished she didn't have to go through the interview process because she already knows she wants to hire me. She also said that I would be getting a lot more phone calls from around the district. I told her she was the first to call me and she said she knew she was the first and that she was going to work very hard to be the last as well. I couldn't stop smiling all day today. She really wants me! I proved myself even though I didn't speak any Spanish! And to hear that others have been talking about me just completely shocks me.

Ok, so I guess the title of this post doesn't match with everything I had to say, but I can't think of a word to sum this all up. I guess right now it would be grateful. I haven't had any interviews yet and I haven't signed any papers, but I feel like I have already come out on top. This year has changed my life in more ways than I could have ever imagined. For that, I will be forever grateful for every road I traveled on this year.

6 comments:

Tiffany said...

Congratulations, Emily! I'm so glad that everyone has seen your hard work and talent. I hope the best position opens up for you. Good luck, girl.

LeeAnn said...

Emily,
You are such a good writer. That was a great expression of your feelings:) I'm so glad these principals are realizing how amazing you are. Things really do work out don't they!

The Fife's said...

good luck! Keep us posted.

Nana Jan said...

Pleae don't get sick of me but I am loving your blog. May I quote you..."everything will work out in life, even if it leads you down a different road". Wow! I think I just needed to hear that tonight. You story is so exciting. You have earned the right to be in demand. Congratulations. Will be fun to hear what you choose.
Aunt Jan

seeingred said...

Isn't it wonderful how it seems the most difficult times bring the most opportunities and (it seems) a better path than you ever could have hoped for? Something to remember whenever times get really hard.
I'm so glad for you! It was nice seeing you the other day!

Anna said...

I have had NO DOUBT that people would be fighting over you!!! You are amazing!!